In the past, spectrum users were predominantly in the Government sector and the spectrum was being used by the private sector only for their captive requirements, which were quite less. To meet out the demands, certain wireless licenses have been decentralised from WPC Wing to five Regional Licensing Offices at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Guwahati.
The issue / grant of following types of wireless licenses have been transferred to the Regional Licensing Offices (RLOs).
- Radio Paging (Captive) Licence
- Import Licence
- Maritime Mobile Station Licence
- Aeronautical Mobile Station Licence
- Radio Control of Models Licence
- Experimental Licence
- Demonstration Licence
- Short Range UHF Hand-Held Licence
In addition, the following activities have also been decentralized to the RLOs:
- Issue of Certificate of Proficiency and licence to the Commercial Pilots viz. Radio Telephony Restricted(A) [RTR(A) examinations held by the WPC Wing for “Commercial Pilots” ]
- Scrutiny and admission of candidates to the Radio Telephony Restricted (A) examinations held by the WPC Wing for “Commercial Pilots”.
- Issue of Certificate of Proficiency and licence to Marine Radio Officers viz. GMDSS.